Julie’s Jukes: Silly fun with my sister

Julie’s Jukes: Silly fun with my sister
  • On September 20, 2021

By Julie Newell
Editor in Chief

This past weekend my parents took a short vacation to the Art Prize event in Grand Rapids. So, I decided to spend the night at my sister’s apartment.

My sister Alyssa and I have always gotten along, but we have grown very close since we reached our young adult years.

When I graduated high school, I moved to Grand Rapids and shared an apartment with Alyssa when I attended Grand Rapids Community College. We lived together up until Alyssa graduated and I moved to Lansing to attend LCC.

Julie Newell (right) and her sister Alyssa enjoy some “paint by numbers” fun. Courtesy photo

One of the things we both enjoy is watching a YouTube personality called Brandon Farris. He has clean and hilarious content that we both watch on a regular basis.

One of his videos that we enjoy watching is when he does “Bob Ross by the Numbers,” which is a miniature paint by number set.

What we decided to do when I slept over at Alyssa’s house this past weekend was to watch his video and record ourselves doing exactly what he does in the video as if it was a tutorial.

The video resulted in lots of laughter and spilt “dooder” paint.

Alyssa attempted to paint exactly how Brandon did in the video and I tried to make the painting look the way it is supposed to.

Throughout the video Alyssa and I bantered back and forth, especially over the fact that I am an artist and cannot go against my artistic nature and do a horrible job of painting, even though that was the point.

The end result was hilarious and we both agreed we will most likely throw the paintings away.