For What It’s Worth: Return to campus

For What It’s Worth: Return to campus

By Larry Hook
The Lookout Adviser

After nearly 16 months of working remotely, I returned to campus for my first day of work on Thursday, July 8.

Although time seemingly stood still in The Lookout office on the third floor of the Gannon Building, a lot has changed on campus.

The old Gannon parking ramp is gone, and work is now underway on a new five-level ramp. Photo by Larry Hook

The old Gannon parking ramp is gone, replaced by a big hole in the ground on the north side of campus. A new five-level, $42 million ramp is in the early stages of being built. The new structure will have approximately 1,750 parking spaces; almost twice as the old ramp.

The second floor of the Gannon Building is also under construction, with new and improved offices and workspaces being finalized this summer. Most of the second floor construction is taking place on the south side of the building, in the area behind the StarZone.

The most mind-blowing changes have taken place in the TLC building, home of the LCC Library. The entire building is completely refurbished and almost unrecognizable.

The renovated LCC Library in the TLC building has plenty of unique study areas. Photo by Larry Hook

The new computer lab, math lab and general workspace areas on the first floor are slick and shiny, and look like something from the future. There is also a cafeteria area with several vending machines near the west entrance to the TLC.

The library, located on the TLC’s second and third floor, features plenty of open space and some really cool study areas. You’ve got to see it to believe it.

In addition to exploring the many changes on campus, I also spent about an hour chatting with Felipe Lopez Sustaita, the new associate dean for the Center for Student Support. Lopez Sustaita is a very friendly and outgoing person, and it was a pleasure to get to know him.

The sports bobblehead collection in The Lookout adviser’s office is intact, and continues to grow. Photo by Larry Hook

It was good to be back on campus, and I was glad to see the bobblehead collection in my office was still in good shape. I added two new bobblers to the collection upon my return, one of Detroit Pistons’ announcer George Blaha and the other of former Lansing Lugnut Vladimir Guerrero.

For the next few weeks, I will only be on campus on Thursdays. Hopefully, by the time fall semester rolls around, things will get back to “normal” for my schedule, and for The Lookout newspaper and staff.

I can be reached weekdays at 517-483-1291 or at hookl@star.lcc.edu.