Alumnus Spotlight: Amber Kenton

Alumnus Spotlight: Amber Kenton

By Maddy Warren
Editor in Chief

Whether they only take a few classes or earn an associate degree, many LCC alumni express appreciation for the college and look back on their time as a student with fondness. Amber Kenton is one of those alumni.

Kenton attended LCC from 2011 to 2014. She completed the Sign Language Interpreting Program and earned her certificate of achievement before graduating with an associate’s degree.

During her time at LCC, Kenton was on The Lookout staff.

“I had done a little bit of writing at my high school paper,” she said. “So I had a little portfolio and I remember finding The Lookout office, walking in one day … and handing them my portfolio, like ‘well this is what I can do … I’d love to write for you.”

Kenton started as a freelance writer for The Lookout and eventually became a staff writer and page designer.

“Amber was a wonderful employee,” The Lookout Adviser Larry Hook said. “She is one of the nicest, kindest people I have ever worked with. She always has a smile on her face and something nice to say to everyone she meets.”

Robin Moore, circulation specialist in the Learning Assistance Department – Library, was Kenton’s supervisor when Kenton worked in the LCC Library as a student employee.

“I know Amber to be a kind, intelligent, full of faith individual,” Moore said. “I’m extremely proud of her and I know she will continue to accomplish anything she puts her heart into.”

Kenton is currently a Sign Language Interpreter for a video relay company. Her job is to interpret for video calls. Before the pandemic, Kenton also worked as a staff interpreter for LCC.

“The church I had gone to growing up did a lot of sign language,” Kenton said. “One of my friends decided to go to LCC for that, and I was just fascinated that you could do sign language as a profession. I pretty much followed her to LCC and just fell in love with it.”

In addition to her career as a sign language interpreter, Kenton is married and has pet fish.

Kenton shared that she really enjoyed her time at LCC. She said she graduated in 2020 with a bachelor’s degree from Siena Heights through the LCC University Center’s 3 + 1 program.

“I think I’m biased because … I went to LCC and the University Center so it’s not like I had a variety of school experience,” Kenton said. “(LCC) was a great school and I just really enjoyed (all of) my time there.”