The Lookout | September 28, 2021

Phi Theta Kappa officers discuss roles

Phi Theta Kappa officers discuss roles
  • On March 31, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

For over 100 years, the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society has been actively reaching out and helping high-achieving college students to have the most opportunities possible.

Students who are part of this organization are exposed to important networks, scholarships and career paths that can help them excel.

For each chapter, the Phi Theta Kappa is run by six student-officers who fill the positions of president, vice president, secretary, coordinator, historian and treasurer. Each officer has distinctive responsibilities that they must fulfill as a team.

This week, The Lookout will highlight three of the student officers, with the other three to be featured in a separate story next week.

The chapter president, 42-year-old Dakeyia Scott, is in charge of all general meetings, activities, and projects done by the PTK’s student organization.

“During my time in PTK, I have grown as a leader, an academic, by gaining research skills, building my social network across other Michigan chapters,” Scott said. “But most importantly, the long lasting friendships that I developed within our chapter in the past two years has made a difference for me as a student at LCC.”

The vice president for the PTK is 19-year-old Nova Wyrobek, whose responsibilities are similar to that of the president, but is also generally in charge of helping out where needed with the other officers and providing a second hand.

“This position and PTK as an organization has changed my life in a lot of different aspects,” Wyrobek said. “First, I was able to gain leadership experience like I had never had before, and I was exposed to people with different viewpoints and backgrounds who were also passionate about making a difference at LCC.

“I was able to interview Dr. (Steve) Robinson for our College Project, and this was an amazing experience both personally and professionally because he eventually wrote me a letter of recommendation.

Wyrobek added that the scholarship opportunities PTK offers are amazing.

“I was nominated by our advisers for the All-Michigan Academic Team, which is a huge honor because not many people are picked for this award. “

The secretary of the Mu Tau Chapter is 20-year-old Erin Searles. She is in charge of note-taking and communications within the chapter.

Searles said working with her fellow officers has changed her life.

“Before I joined PTK, I had many bad experiences working with different teams that didn’t value me or my time,” Searles said. “These ladies value everything the other has to say and are all so appreciative of everything that everyone else does to make our chapter run smoothly.

“They taught me that I am valuable, and I think that’s the best lesson I could have ever asked for. (The officers) are all wonderful people, students, and friends. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of ladies to work with.”

Along with the officers, PTK is led by advisers Alejandro Gradillo and Margo Whalen, who help to advise the officers. Whalen said she is more than impressed with this year’s officer team.

“The Mu Tau chapter officer team for this academic year has proven leadership through their cohesiveness among themselves and the group in general,” Whalen said.