The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Bill Garlick named college’s new CIO

Bill Garlick named college’s new CIO

By Chloe Gregg

With the beginning of 2021, LCC has experienced many new changes and developments. One of these was the retirement of Kevin Bubb, who has worked as LCC’s Chief Information Officer (CIO) for several years.

Fortunately, LCC didn’t have to look too far to find a replacement. Officials offered the job to one of their outstanding information technology people, Bill Garlick.

With his new position, Garlick is giving up his past job at LCC as the director of Enterprise Systems. Applications Systems Analyst Kellee Goff has been chosen to take over as the interim director.

Garlick began working at LCC in 2008 as its senior database administrator, but he has been working in the information technology field for much longer.

“I started in information technology specifically in higher education in 1997,” Garlick said. “I grew up in the age where computers were becoming a thing at home and I was fortunate to have my dad get into that when it was starting up.

“We had one in the house and that started me off on doing some IT things, programming and writing my own stuff, and it became a hobby.”

Garlick said he started out in the field as a student employee at Eastern Michigan University back in 1997 before working his way up. Now, Garlick has accepted his new role as the CIO for LCC.

“The Chief Information Officer is ultimately the head of IT for the college and is looked at as a leader for combining technology into the mission of the college,” Garlick said. “The CIO is someone who really needs to communicate effectively about what’s going on.”

Garlick said he has high hopes that Goff will succeed in her new position at the college, as well.

“Kellee has been with the college for a number of years,” Garlick said. “I have been fortunate enough to work with her my entire time at the college. A lot of the things I was doing in my previous role she has a great aptitude for. I think she’s going to be successful in helping out with what we’ve asked her to take on.”

Goff started working at LCC in 1985 and has remained ever since, for a little over 35 years.

“I started as a student programmer while I was a student and, in 1987, I became a full-time programmer,” Goff said.

Goff said that the interim director of Enterprise Systems is an IT person who leads the people who uphold the college’s support systems, such as the HR system and student system. For Goff, the feeling is mutual in that Garlick will do great things in his new job.

“I think he’s going to do a wonderful job in that position. He was in the spot that I’m taking interim for, so he’s been my boss for three or four years now. I think he will do an excellent job as the CIO.”