The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Movie review: ‘Charming’ lacks character

• On February 2, 2021

Two Stars out of Five

By Joanna MacGown
Freelance Writer

“Charming,” much like the archetypal character for which it is named, is just generically nice; outstanding in neither its goodness nor its badness.

Now streaming on Netflix, “Charming” tells the story of one Prince Charming, who is cursed by a witch at birth to be “too charming,” stealing the hearts of every woman who lays eyes on him, and doomed to one day bring disaster to his kingdom – unless of course, he finds true love.

It’s not a bad premise; when I first heard about the curse, my immediate thought was, “Oh, so he’ll fall in love with a blind girl who can’t see his face?” Then when we actually meet the obvious love interest (voiced by Demi Lovato), I thought, “Maybe she’s secretly a guy or something?” But nope! She’s just a kleptomaniac with trust issues.

Even that could have been interesting in better hands – the idea of two people who don’t really know what love is falling in love with each other is, again, an interesting concept!  But it’s gutted by bland execution and predictable plotting.  It amounts to little more than a gender-flipped version of the old “princess falls for the dashing rogue” romance.

And now we get to the most disappointing element for me: the music. The cast is stacked with the likes of Demi Lovato, Avril Lavigne, and Ashley Tisdale, yet it has the most forgettable pseudo-pop soundtrack I’ve heard in years. The only one that manages to stand out is a trippy number courtesy of Sia.

This movie is never obnoxious or offensive, and there were even one or two genuinely funny gags (if not until the last 15 minutes). But I can’t help wishing it was more than just a pretty face.