The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Review: ‘What Happened to Monday’

Review: ‘What Happened to Monday’
  • On January 19, 2021

Four out of Five Stars

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Over the three-day weekend, I spent time unwinding from a busy first week of the semester. My past times included scrolling through TikTok (a frequent hobby of mine), and watching movies.

A few days ago, a TikTok popped up on my “For You Page” that caught my attention: a movie recommendation from @maddikoch for the Netflix film, “What Happened to Monday.”

Maddi described her love for the movie in the video she posted, “If I were to die tomorrow I’d watch this tonight,” she said.

That statement alone was enough to convince me to watch, and I immediately added the movie to my Netflix list for later.

“What Happened to Monday” was initially released in 2017 and I vaguely remember its popularity after the initial debut. Even though it was released three years ago, I watched it for the first time on Sunday.

The movie is set in the future, where due to overpopulation, families are only allowed to have one child. Any siblings are forced into “cryosleep” by the government, where they stay frozen until a time when the Earth is better equipped to handle the abundance of humans.

Terrence Settman (played by Willem Dafoe), must keep his seven identical granddaughters a secret to protect them from the Child Allocation Bureau.

He names each of them after a day of the week and the girls are only allowed to go outside on the day they are named after. Together, the sisters collectively take on the identity of Karen Settman (played by Noomi Rapace).

And whatever happens to one must happen to all of them, so no one knows there is more than one.

“What Happened to Monday” explores the complicated dynamics of siblings, with plenty of plot twists.

It has a thrilling and interesting dystopian plotline, which makes for an entertaining film. However, it would not be the last movie I would pick to watch before I die.