The Lookout | March 9, 2021

LCC freshman dedicated to tennis

LCC freshman dedicated to tennis
  • On January 14, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

From the time Rayn Sova lifted a tennis racket over a decade ago, she was dedicated to the game.

Even through adversities and injuries, Sova persevered to overcome her greatest struggles in order to become the best tennis player she could.

The recently turned 18-year-old Sova is majoring in business transfer studies at LCC. After she receives her associate’s degree, she wants to transfer to either Michigan State University or Grand Valley State University.

“Growing up, I was always the type to play sports,” Sova said. “I have played at least 10 sports, but the one that stuck with me was tennis. My nana signed me up for a tennis camp at Eastern High School when I was about 5 and I fell in love with the game.”

Sova had always played tennis for fun at camps or with friends, but in seventh grade she moved to Holt Junior High School and joined the team. In ninth grade, Sova moved to Mason High School, but said she was too afraid to try out for varsity because she was in a new school.

A few months in, there was an injured player on the varsity team and Sova was asked to fill in.

“After that season, I was addicted to playing,” Sova said. “Not a day went by where I didn’t want to play.”

Unfortunately, at the end of Sova’s junior year, she injured her wrist and her doctors told her she needed to stop playing tennis. But she wasn’t going to let that stop her.

“I am very stubborn, so I decided to play left-handed instead,” Sova said. “My first tournament back playing left-handed, me and my partner got first place.”

Mason High School teammate Taylore Beach said she is proud to have Sova as a dedicated teammate and friend.

“Rayn was always super hard working and pushed herself no matter how many obstacles came her way,” said Beach. “She set a really good example for the team and was very dedicated toward being the best teammate, friend and person she could be.”