The Lookout | March 9, 2021

Julie’s Jukes: Christmas in a pandemic

Julie’s Jukes: Christmas in a pandemic
  • On December 18, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

Christmas is going to be very different this year with the pandemic.

Usually for Christmas, my family members from out of state would travel here to Michigan. But because of the pandemic, we agreed it would be safer if we don’t get together.

Instead we decided to mail our gifts to each other.

In doing this we came to certain humorous realizations.

The firstwas that mailing gifts saves space under the tree, as well as time usually spent wrapping gifts.

The second realization was, we all thought we had good ways of labeling the gifts when we mailed them, but we did not.

Let me explain. When I mailed gifts to my cousins I did not put their names of the gift label, I put their names on the address label, not realizing that Amazon would combine multiple packages going to the same address. That means none of the gifts are labeled and my cousins will be confused.

The third realization was that we had to be careful opening packages in our name, because they could be gifts meant for us that we are not allowed to see. Therefore, if we receive a package that we are not expecting, we have to have another member of our family open it to see what it is.

So, for the past several weeks, we have been texting our family members from out of state, asking what gifts are what and who they are for.

After this hilarious gift adventure, we now know what not to do, if we have to mail gifts again.

On Christmas day we will video call each other so we can all watch each other open our presents.

It will not be as fun as being in person, but I am very thankful that we live in a time where we can use technology to connect with our family.