The Lookout | February 28, 2021

Finals Frenzy contest winners named

Finals Frenzy contest winners named
  • On December 17, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

As a way to give students a break from studying for exams, LCC hosted a virtual Finals Frenzy Dec. 7 to 14.

Festivities included a scavenger hunt and an Instagram photo contest called “Show Us Your Snaps.” The contest ran Dec. 7 to 10, with a different photo challenge each day. Participants were required to post a photo on Instagram tagging #FinalsFrenzy and LCC’s account @LCCstars.

The winner of Monday’s challenge “post a picture of your study space” is LCC student Taylor Freedon, who is working toward an associate degree in business administration.

Taylor Freedon’s winning entry

“I entered because it was something to do to appreciate my hard work this semester and the photo contests are so fun,” Freedon said. “I think the Finals Frenzy was so fun and an awesome way to show appreciation to the students who work so hard during the semester, and who are stressed by the time finals come around.”

Liberty Smith is an LCC student and a community and human services major. She won Tuesday’s challenge, “post a picture of a pretty winter scene.”

“I decided to enter the photo contest because it gave me an escape from finals and an opportunity to be involved with the college, since there are limited opportunities this year,” Smith said.

Liberty Smith’s winning entry

Smith said she watched the Finals Frenzy Motivation video the college posted in addition to participating in the photo challenge.

“I love the idea of the college offering opportunities for students to get involved, even with this semester being online,” Smith said. “It was super fun being able to see other pictures posted throughout the week.”

“Post a picture of your study pawtner (pet),” was the challenge for Wednesday. LCC student and electrical engineering major Georgia Hill won this day.

“I entered the photo contest because it was a good excuse to post a cute picture of Hazel,” Hill said. “Hazel is actually my sister’s dog. My sister recently just graduated from college and moved back in, for the time being, so Hazel comes to hang out with me when I’m doing homework.”

Georgia Hill’s winning entry

Hill said she thought LCC’s virtual Finals Frenzy was really neat.

“It’s too bad they couldn’t have the in-person events like last year though,” Hill said. “I really enjoyed all of the different things students could participate in … but I do think the virtual events were still a great idea.”

Thursday’s challenge was “post a picture of your friends or family meeting for a Facetime/Skype/Zoom/House Party date while social distancing.” LCC Dental Hygiene student Anne Marie Plautz won.

Anne Marie Plautz’s winning entry

Plautz said she loves Finals Frenzy and that she entered in the past and won.

“It gave me a reason to post a picture of my dog,” Plautz said. “I love the contest because it makes exam week not as terrible and gives me something to look forward to.”

“I love there was a 2020 themed ‘group meeting’ because this year has required so much change and adaptation for students everywhere … Now I’m always on the phone with someone from my dental hygiene class. It has been a nice way to get to know the girls in my class while also staying safe through social distancing.”

The winners got to pick a $25 gift card as a prize for winning the photo challenges. Freedon, Smith and Plautz all picked Amazon gift cards. Hill chose a Target gift card.

“(I won) a gift card to Amazon!” Plautz said. “There was a list of options I got to pick from and they emailed it to me right away.”