The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Student’s love of nature inspires career

• On November 19, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

Elena Kozachik, an 18-year-old LCC student, said she knew at a young age she wanted to work in the agriculture community.

Growing up in the small town of Laingsburg, Kozachik’s family inspired her love of agriculture.

“It was my aunt and uncle,” Kozachik said. “They live in Homer. My uncle is a crop farmer and my aunt is a swine farmer. I grew up with the love of the country and animals because of them.”

In high school, Kozachik was involved in many agricultural activities.

“Laingsburg High School had a barn on the property, so being a part of the agriculture classes I got hands-on learning when it came to the animal-science portion,” Kozachik said.

Kozachik was never afraid to get her hands dirty.

“One thing not many people know about me is that I helped deliver farm animals and care for them,” Kozachik said. “In high school I had a big role in delivering baby goats and pigs and caring for them as they grew.”

Now, Kozachik is studying Agricultural Education at LCC.

“I always knew I wanted to be a part of the agriculture community and decided on education, because of my former agriculture teacher in high school,” Kozachik said. “I loved the way she worked with students and how she inspired her students.”

Kozachik is unsure if she wants to pursue education or business.

“I am still trying to decide if education is the path for me or if I am going to pursue the business side (of agriculture),” Kozachik said. “But, if I did decide on education, I would be going to MSU (after LCC) and then student teach.”

Until then, Kozachik will continue to study and spend her free time taking nature walks with her dog, Buddy.