The Lookout | March 9, 2021

Julie’s Jukes: Holidays will be different

• On November 9, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

The year 2020 has been one of the weirdest years ever.

That is saying something after the year 2016, when people randomly decided to dress up as creepy clowns and walk around; then it suddenly stopped.

This year has gone by so fast; I barely remember even having a summer.

I still can’t believe it is November already. Thanksgiving is in a couple weeks and then Christmas is right around the corner.

With the pandemic still at large. the holidays are going to be a little different.

In my life I have had my family holiday celebrations in strange places and at different times.

My family and I have spent several Christmases in the hospital because of serious health problems that a family member has experienced.

My family would also periodically celebrate Thanksmas. Thanksmas is where you combine Thanksgiving and Christmas together.

I have family who live in Georgia and Wisconsin, so we will base our holiday plans on when those family members will be visiting in certain years.

This year we were planning on having Thanksmas and had started sending out our Christmas gift lists to each other.

However, because of Michigan being in a current spike of COVID-19, my family has decided it would be safer if we did not get together for the holidays this year.

My grandparents have serious health problem – even before the pandemic we had to be careful. If anyone felt even a little sick when we went to visit my grandparents, that person stayed home.

The pandemic is not going away anytime soon. That means a lot of things have to change, including holiday get-togethers with family.

The holidays are going to be different this year. Then again, everything about this year has been different.