The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Dr. Jan Karazim is new dean of HHS

Dr. Jan Karazim is new dean of HHS
  • On October 29, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Some students go into college with their heart set on a clear career path, some go in undecided, and other students start off in one area but ultimately change their major.

Like many students, the third option was the case for Dr. Jan Karazim, the new dean of the Health and Human Services (HHS) division.

Karazim attended Jackson College as a transfer student. She had plans to earn a degree and start a career in elementary education.

However, after one or two semesters, she was anxious to enter the full-time workforce, and knew a two-year radiography program would get her there quicker than a four-year bachelor’s degree in elementary education. So she applied to the radiography program.

“I had worked in a doctor’s office while in high school that had x-ray, so radiography was not completely foreign to me,” Karazim said. “My plan was to work full-time as a radiographer while continuing courses part-time toward that elementary (education) degree.

“Well, plans changed. I discovered I loved everything about radiography, abandoning any thoughts of a future in elementary (education).”

Karazim said her inspiration for radiography came from a couple of her adjunct instructors. She decided she eventually wanted to become an adjunct professor, as well.

“I also knew that I needed to follow through with a bachelor’s degree that would advance my radiography career,” Karazim said. “… I happily worked as a full-time registered radiographer while pursuing bachelor and master degrees from Spring Arbor University, teaching adjunct in the (Jackson College) radiography program, and earning advanced credentials in mammography.”

Before coming to LCC, Karazim worked at Kellogg Community College and Jackson College. In 2010, she started a doctorate program at Ferris State University in Community College Leadership and graduated in 2013.

“Without a doubt, my passion and my best work are realized in the Health and Human Service career pathways, so I am very excited and humbled to have been chosen as the new dean of HHS at LCC,” Karazim said.

“I am joining a wonderful team of HHS faculty and staff that will help me to ensure that our programs are ever-evolving to meet the needs of students and of the community through high-quality instruction, curriculum, laboratory and clinical learning experiences.”

As dean, Karazim said she is currently focused on keeping HHS students, faculty and staff safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“My role is to collaborate across the college and community to ensure our programs are following the guidelines established by the CDC, the policies and required practices in the LCC

Safety Plan, and those of our clinical education providers.”

During her time as dean, Karazim said she hopes to research and make necessary changes to ensure HHS programs appeal to a diverse student population, and that students reach program completion and the workforce; and build on the work done under the leadership of former HHS Dean Margie Clark.

“With any new job, there is a certain level of healthy nervousness,” Karazim said. “But overshadowing is excitement and anticipation for the opportunity to join LCC.”

“Through my doctoral work, I studied many community colleges across the country, and LCC consistently emerged as a national leader… I am inspired. LCC is the kind of institution I want to work for, and an institution that students can be so very proud of.”