The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Maddy’s Message: Halloween changes

Maddy’s Message: Halloween changes
  • On October 26, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

It has been nearly one year since I stopped at Party City on my way home from class on Oct. 30, 2019. Halloween is looking quite different this year.

For a while last year, I was between costumes, but finally settled on a basic, yet classic choice: an angel.

The automatic doors opened to let me into Party City, amidst the chaos of parents and children frantically searching for last-minute costumes, accessories and decorations.

I purchased wings from Spirit Halloween a few days prior, and was in search of the perfect halo to match.

It wasn’t difficult to track down the aisle with halos and other pieces of an angel costume, but getting to the physical accessories was a challenge because the aisle was packed with other customers. Looking back, that many people would never be allowed in one area in our current socially distanced world.

I eventually maneuvered my way through the crowd and grabbed what I needed before taking a spot at the end of the long checkout line. When it was finally my turn, I paid for my item and drove home.

At this time last year, I was midway through the first semester of my freshman year at LCC, and looked forward to attending my first college Halloween party.

I collected the pieces for my costume and was set to go as an angel, but low and behold, the day of the party was one of the coldest days of the year. So after a long school week, I ultimately decided to stay home.

I promised myself I would save it for “next year.” Then at the beginning of 2020, my friends and I bought tickets to see Harry Styles for his “Harryween” show on Halloween of 2020 at Madison Square Garden in New York. The pandemic, of course, had other plans.

Looking back, skipping the party was a lame and regrettable decision.

However, despite the unforeseen social disruption caused by COVID-19, I plan on celebrating Halloween – my favorite holiday – this Saturday, Oct. 31, in more of a low-key fashion.

I will start by watching the MSU vs. U of M football game at noon, (I am praying my Spartans manage to score at least a few points against their rival). I’ll end the day with Halloween classics, including “Hocus Pocus” and “Halloweentown,” and my favorite candy: chocolate. And who knows, maybe I’ll finally get to wear my angel costume, even if it is only in my living room.