The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Maddy’s Message: Love for The Big Apple

Maddy’s Message: Love for The Big Apple Times Square Skyline Ellis Island
  • On October 12, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

I will never forget the first time I witnessed the Manhattan skyline in person.

It was on a spring-break trip with close family friends when I was 13. There were seven of us: my close friend, her parents, her sister and two of her sister’s friends.

We drove the full 10 hours from Michigan, and my friend’s mom played Taylor Swift’s “Welcome to New York” on aux as her dad drove us across the George Washington Bridge, into the city.

I had seen New York City in movies and on TV hundreds of times before, but nothing compares to seeing it with your own two eyes.

Since it was my first visit, we did all the tourist attractions one can imagine: the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The MET, Rockefeller Center, the American Museum of Natural History and the 9/11 Memorial, to name a few. We also saw “Aladdin” and I got to experience my first Broadway musical.

That trip was my first of many to New York. My second visit to NYC was the summer after my sophomore year of high school.

This time I was with my own family. My mom and I were the only ones who visited before. My dad and two brothers had never been there, so we stuck to sightseeing. I did, however, get to experience a few new attractions, including “The Lion King” on Broadway.

The third time I went was for a choir trip during my junior year of high school. To this day, it is my favorite NYC trip. A group of about 80 students, chaperones and directors flew out of Detroit for a weekend trip.

My group consisted of three of my best friends and we had the greatest time. Some of my best memories were created on that trip.

The choir had the privilege of performing at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, touring Radio City Music Hall, (including a photo op with a Radio City Rockette), and two Broadway shows, “Hello, Dolly!” and “Anastasia.”

My most recent trip to the “Big Apple” was the shortest. It was during a week-long vacation out east with my mom and brothers last summer. My brother’s friend and his mom tagged along and we spent a night in Manhattan.

It was a quick trip but I did get to walk the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time, and I saw one of my most favorite musicals, “Waitress.”

In the five years since my first visit, I have traveled to many beautiful and unique places, but New York remains number one on my list.

You are bound to see or experience something new each time you visit. There is never a dull moment; it truly is “The City that Never Sleeps.” I absolutely adore it.

Each time I go back, I find myself planning the next visit. I have grown to love it so much I plan on moving there after college.

Plans for my fifth NYC trip this year were dashed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but I am hoping to visit my beloved city again in 2021.