The Lookout | December 1, 2020

Julie’s Jukes: My love for Disney movies

• On October 12, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

Everyone has an obsession; something that piques your interest so much that you learn all you can about it.

I have a few obsessions that revolve around books and movies. My main obsession is Disney, or more specifically, Disney movies.

I have seen almost every Disney movie and I can quote several movies almost verbatim. I have over 100 songs from Disney movies downloaded on my phone.

When I was a senior in high school my family took a trip to Disney World in Florida and it was incredible.

I know a lot of people roll their eyes when I say I love Disney, but I think those people miss the point of why I love Disney so much.

Why do you read books and watch movies? To escape from reality, and find enjoyment in these stories that take you into fantastical worlds.

Life is chaotic and stressful. You have to find a way to unwind and forget that stress for a while; Disney does that for me.

The stories may be corny and aimed mostly for children, but how many times as an adult have you wished to go back in time and be a kid again?

The stories are simple, yet complex. They hold your attention with amazing animation and heartwarming adventures.

I love Disney; I love the action and humor from movies like “Mulan,” “Tarzan” and “Aladdin.” I love the romance from movies like “Cinderella,” “Beauty and The Beast,” and “The Little Mermaid.”

I love how they give kids role models like Tiana from “Princess and The Frog,” who shows with hard work you can accomplish your dreams.

I love how Disney and Pixar takes hard topics like depression, loss and change and turn them into fun movies like “Inside Out,” “Big Hero 6” and Coco,” which help kids understand these complex feelings.

Disney is so much more than just corny, kids’ movies and expensive theme parks.

And that is why I love Disney.