The Lookout | November 25, 2020

Chloe’s Chat: My theory on Bigfoot

Chloe’s Chat: My theory on Bigfoot
  • On October 5, 2020

By Chloe Gregg

I’m not an anthropologist, obviously. My theory on Bigfoot has absolutely no evidence and no merit.

If it helps, I am taking anthropology so I know somewhat about what I’m talking about. But if you came here for an evidential theory about Bigfoot, this isn’t the place for you.

To begin, I believe that there is not enough actual scientific research and exploration into Bigfoot, largely due to the backlash scientists would receive if they suggest Bigfoot’s existence. Bigfoot is a legend, and therefore lacks credibility. So let’s strip him of his name, of his legend, and just look at what we know:

An unknown species has been sighted multiple times within North America that is said to be bipedal, nocturnal, omnivorous and solitary, and it resembles a large ape. Any anthropologist will tell you that these traits don’t add up; primates are usually very social creatures (including humans), diurnal, not omnivorous and, with the exception of humans, primates do not solely walk on two feet.

… But this is all under the assumption that Bigfoot is just a large ape or a part of the Hominidae, excluding Hominins. My theory is that we shouldn’t be excluding the Hominin tribe simply because we believe all other Homo species besides Homo sapiens are long extinct. We have found evidence plenty of times before of the existence of animals that we didn’t believe still existed, or even existed at all (Narwhals, Krakens, etc.).

So let’s assume then that Bigfoot is a part of the Homo genus. This would explain its described appearance and behavior, bipedalism, and omnivorous tendencies. But why nocturnal and solitary, when those are not traits that are apparent in primates or the Homo genus (with the exception of the Orangutan)?

If another Homo species that crossed the Bering Strait were to have isolated themselves from the other Homo species, and missed their chance at procreation and further evolution, they would be stuck in essentially a “large ape/man” form.

As many of us know, Homo sapiens became the overruling Homo species largely in part because they were able to mate and procreate with other Homo species, such as Homo neanderthalensis and Homo erectus.

With this theory, you could explain Bigfoot’s nocturnality and solidarity as a niche in the environment they were forced to fill due to the wide spread of Homo sapiens, of whom they wouldn’t be able to breed with any longer.

In order to stay clear from us, they would have to roam during the night (opposite to us) and they wouldn’t be able to stay in large groups.