Review: ‘Good Truckin Diner’ a great find

• On September 29, 2020

Five Stars out of Five

By Chloe Gregg

Diners have always been very hit or miss for me. Oftentimes, such as at iHop or Denny’s, they focus on the sweets of breakfast, but I’m not really a sweets person.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good, fluffy pancake, but I love a breakfast burrito more.

My problem with diners is that more often than not, their breakfast food focus is too narrow and unimaginative. And we’ve all had those little round pancakes that my grandma’s plate-filling pancakes would laugh at.

I had given up on ever finding a diner worthy of waking up early on a weekend for, until now.

Good Truckin’ Diner, located at 1107 Washington Ave. in Lansing, about six minutes away from LCC’s main campus, is a good truckin’ diner. Open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day of the week, this place is tucked along a line of buildings, but is still hard to miss.

The entire place has a retro feel that will take you back to the ‘60s, when things were good and JFK was president. Its exterior is all metal with red trim. There are tables in the front to enjoy your meal outside, as well as booths and stools inside.

But the real hitter is the food (did I mention the low, very affordable prices). This diner sports an adventurous menu with mixes of Mexican food thrown in throughout, which makes for extra fantastic breakfast burritos. But don’t worry, for people with a sweet tooth, they have some amazing menu options, too.

Some notable options include: mary jane waffle (savory cornbread waffle topped with pork or avocado); Bourbon Street (delicious French toast with caramelized bananas dipped in a yummy rum sauce with cream cheese drizzle); South by Southwest (a breakfast burrito with steak, black bean, corn, onion, peppers, fried jalapeño, pepper jack cheese, potato, Ranchero salsa, crema & cilantro); and so, so much more.

Look, I know good food. And this place is probably the best diner in Lansing. So please, do yourself a favor and go try it.