The Lookout | November 25, 2020

Julie’s Jukes: 23 young and free?

Julie’s Jukes: 23 young and free?
  • On September 28, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

Fall is my favorite season. I love the cooler temperatures, campfires, hot cocoa, apple cider, and how the leaves change into an array of beautiful colors.

I may be a little biased though, because I was born in the fall.

I will be turning 23 on Sept. 29 and everyone asks me how I feel. What exactly am I supposed to be feeling? Unlike a person’s sweet 16, or turning 21 and being able to drink, turning 23 is one of those lull years.

I’m not old, but compared to some of my classmates and coworkers who are relatively fresh out of high school, I’m not young either.

Everyone says to enjoy your 20s, because you will never get them back. I always wondered why.

What is so great about being in your 20s? I’m walking around pretending to be an adult, trying to figure out who I am and what I want to do before the ticking clock of age says it is too late to change things.

I’m at that point in my life where there are three different groups of people: those who are getting married/are married; those who are having babies; and then those, like me, who are still trying to figure things out.

Making the decision to change my career after finishing one degree was not easy, but I knew it was the right thing to do. The problem with this is, I feel kind of stuck now. My friends are getting married, having babies and moving forward in their life. Meanwhile, I’m still at college starting a new degree.

I have been in a serious relationship for almost three years now and people keep asking me when we are going to get hitched? I tell them that we are waiting until I am done with college and have a good job, so that we don’t have a huge financial struggle when we get married.

Sometimes I feel stuck, wanting to move on and get to that next chapter of my life. But I can’t, because there are steps I have to take before I can get to where I want to be.

Everything happens for a reason and everything will happen in its own time, so why rush?

Why can’t I just be 23, young and free?