The Lookout | November 1, 2020

McDiarmid enjoys sharing her expertise

McDiarmid enjoys sharing her expertise
  • On September 11, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

Some of the most underappreciated heroes of today are teachers.

Tamara McDiarmid, 53, has been teaching at LCC since 2015. She is currently the lead faculty adviser for the Adult Corrections Program and Public Service Careers at LCC’s west campus.

McDiarmid grew up in Grand Rapids, where she studied criminal justice at Grand Rapids Community College. After that she earned her bachelor’s degree at Ferris State University, then received her master’s degree from Grand Valley State University.

After school, McDiarmid served at the Kent County Sheriff’s Department for 25 years, before deciding to become a teacher.

“When I was getting close to retirement … I was looking for an opportunity to become a professor to help prepare the next generation of students who were looking to enter corrections, criminal justice, as a field,” McDiarmid said. “So, I was looking for a community college setting. I started my educational career at a community college, and so I felt that that would be the best fit.

“I know that a lot of students, like I was, don’t have the resources or the time, especially in today’s climate, to necessarily be able to invest in a university, and so, those were the students that I felt I could best serve,” McDiarmid said.

She said she discovered a position opening at Lansing Community College.

“I looked up its mission and its goals and felt that it fit with my educational pedagogy,” she said. “So, I applied and was fortunate enough to get the position.”

In her downtime, McDiarmid enjoys playing games on her PlayStation 4. She said she likes playing games including “Assassin’s Creed” and “Call of Duty.”

Another interesting hobby McDiarmid has is genealogy.

“I’m really into genealogy to try and find out as much about my family line as I possibly can,” McDiarmid said. “I’m a history freak, so right now in my spare time … I am taking courses through the Center of Excellence, located in the United Kingdom in England, to learn more about the British monarchy and medieval England.

“That is a time period that fascinates me, and so I’m taking some classes through that particular institution to just kind of further my learning, my knowledge on history. Anything to do with history, I try and soak up.”