Julie’s Jukes: Taking up a new hobby

Julie’s Jukes: Taking up a new hobby
  • On August 31, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

Over the course of the summer, because of the stay-at-home order, I had to find ways of entertaining myself.

I’m one of those people who gets bored easily and has to be doing something with my hands. Watching TV all day wasn’t enough to keep me entertained. My solution was to get a new hobby.

I already had a couple hobbies: art and reading. I always have a book to read, either on my phone or a paperback, but even that can get boring at times. I used to sketch all the time when I was younger and I had taken some drawing classes in college, but life got busy and I don’t sketch as much anymore.

I was going stir crazy and needed something to do. When I was younger, my mom taught me and my sister how to crochet. My sister kept up with crocheting, but as I got older I stopped doing it.

My mom has always been really crafty. She used to sew some of our clothes when my sister and I were younger. She also went to a few craft groups and learned how to crotchet and knit.

Around this time in the summer several people I knew were pregnant. What better way to spend my time then make baby gifts for them. That is when I asked my mom to teach me how to knit.

My mom was excited and bought me several knitting needles and other knitting tools for me to use. She gave me a few easy patterns that would help me learn the basics of knitting.

I ended up enjoying learning how to knit from my mom. I knitted a couple wash cloths and a beanie hat. Then my mom and I brainstormed baby gift ideas that wouldn’t be too complicated for me. We found a pattern for a “lovey blanket.”

A lovey blanket is a small security blanket that has a small stuffed animal on top of it. The pattern was very simple and the loveys didn’t take long to make. My mom found some lovey blanket kits that had the yarn and the stuffed animal together.

As an artist, I always appreciate that feeling I get when I finish making something with my hands. I don’t know how to describe the feeling other than happy, satisfied and accomplished. What hobbies have you taken up lately? Let me know at newellj1@star.lcc.edu