Chemistry professor is an LCC veteran

Chemistry professor is an LCC veteran
  • On August 28, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Chemistry 161 professor Ed Bryant has filled many roles in his time at LCC.

“Much of my time at LCC has been spent teaching the advanced organic chemistry laboratory course, Chemistry 272,” Bryant said. “I have had success over the years working to improve this course.”

With a background in synthetic organic chemistry, he has done research in natural products extraction, photochemical reactions on organic substrates and synthesis of natural products.

Bryant has taught both organic chemistry lecture courses; served on the Science Department Leadership Team and the CTE advisory team; served as the vice president of the Faculty Senate; and served on the board of the academic senate.

Beyond LCC, Bryant served on the Michigan Education Association Board of Directors, the MEA Strategy Committee and the MEA Resolutions Committee. He was also the president of the Michigan College Chemistry Teachers Association.

He said he has enjoyed helping his former students transition successfully to professional schools in engineering, medicine and veterinary medicine fields.

“Some of my former students still write me or send me text messages, giving me updates on how they are doing,” Bryant said. “It is especially satisfying when I hear from former students who remain in the area or return after they complete their studies to strengthen this community.”

The adjustment to online instruction during the spring semester went well for Bryant, he said, since he built good working relationships with his students before the switch.

“We were all dealing with the same situation and my students appreciated the many additional hours I devoted toward pulling together materials to support their learning,” he said.

Bryant said switching to online learning took a significant toll on many LCC professors teaching during the spring semester. 

“I’m certain that there are many stories of LCC faculty and support professionals who made great personal sacrifices to ensure that our students had the support they needed to successfully complete the semester and beyond,” Bryant said.

When he is not teaching, Bryant enjoys woodworking, photography, gardening and walking.

“For the most part, I have been trying to work on maintenance projects (lately) that I never seemed to have time for before, but that can no longer be ignored,” he said.

One afternoon this summer, Bryant and his wife Sue visited and walked around the Dow Gardens in Midland.

“We enjoyed touring the Canopy Trail and seeing the many plantings on the estate,” he said.

If you are a professor who is interested in being featured in a future Lookout article this year, or know a professor who is worthy, please contact Maddy Warren at warrem13@star.lcc.edu.