Board gets update, makes appointment

Board gets update, makes appointment Samuel

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

The LCC Board of Trustees held a special meeting Wednesday, July 29, to discuss the college’s COVID-19 business resumption plan implementation, among other topics.

“I am exceedingly impressed with the LCC business resumption plan and its execution,” new LCC President Dr. Steve Robinson said. “I rate what we are doing as conservative; appropriately conservative. Nearly all of our learning that can be conducted remotely or through alternative delivery is scheduled that way.

“The only face-to-face instruction we have on the fall schedule is applied technical hands-on experience that requires in-person teaching, and it’s being done with strict adherence to physical distancing, PPE usage and hygiene practice.”

Robinson mentioned that in addition to reading the board’s business resumption plan, he has had the opportunity to witness its execution in person, and has been very impressed.

During public comments, Jeff Wilson, president of the part-time support staff, spoke about LCC’s efforts during the pandemic.

“As an MEA board member and an ESP caucus board member, I have been in a lot of meetings the last couple weeks and a lot of trainings,” Wilson said. “One thing that’s been made apparent is that (LCC is) light years ahead of where a lot of people around the state are when it comes to being prepared for the fall.”

In other business, the Board of Trustees voted 6-0 to approve the appointment of Seleana Samuel as the new interim senior vice president for business operations, as recommended by Robinson.

Samuel is currently LCC’s purchasing director. She will report directly to President Robinson.

“She’s been with us at Lansing Community College for seven years,” Robinson said. “Dr. Samuel’s academic training is well known to me (and) provides me with a high degree of confidence.”

Robinson said that although Samuel is starting with an “interim” title, it is his intent to eventually have her move into the position permanently.

“While Dr. Samuel is exceedingly well prepared for the role, it’s also my intention to work closely with her to ensure that she has the development and support to be successful in the role,” Robinson said.

Currently the college’s purchasing director, Samuel will replace Dr. Lisa Webb Sharpe as senior VP. Webb Sharpe has accepted a new position as chief operating officer at Peckham, a local nonprofit vocational rehabilitation organization

“Dr. Webb Sharpe and I have really developed an excellent working relationship over the past few weeks,” Robinson said. “I just want to thank her publicly for her great colleagueship and the great help that she’s (been). I’m really glad she’s staying in town.”

The next board meeting is scheduled for Monday, Sept. 21 at 6 p.m.