The Lookout | July 3, 2020

New president will return to his roots

New president will return to his roots

By Robin Morales
Associate Editor

The LCC Board of Trustees picked Dr. Steve Robinson in a 4-3 vote to serve as LCC’s seventh president May 18. He spoke May 20 with The Lookout about his appointment.

“I’m very excited to come back to Michigan and to come back to LCC,” Robinson said. “I got my community college start at LCC as a faculty intern when I was working on my master’s degree at Michigan State, so my initial reaction was great excitement.”

LCC Board Chair Lawrence Hidalgo Jr. said a contract of employment between Robinson and LCC will be drafted over the next few weeks. The contract will include Robinson’s salary.

“The next step will be for our attorney and Dr. Robinson to negotiate the terms of his agreement,” Hidalgo said. “It’s not there yet.”

Currently serving as the seventh president of Owens Community College in Perrysburg, Ohio, Robinson said he is anxious to return to LCC’s campus and visit the Herrmann House.

The Herrmann House is a city of Lansing historical site and is property of LCC. Outgoing LCC President Dr. Brent Knight currently lives in the house.

“I’ll be visiting the campus soon and Dr. Knight is going to give me a tour and I’m anxious to see it (the Herrmann House),” Robinson said.

Said Hidalgo: “We’re going to offer the Herrmann House to (Robinson). We would like him to be there on campus but it is not going to be a deal-breaker.”

Robinson spoke briefly about the near-future at LCC in light of COVID-19.

“We’re in this very unprecedented time with the coronavirus pandemic,” Robinson said. “Even when stay-at-home and social distancing provisions are lifted, it’s going to take us a while to get back to something that feels like before.

“And students are going to need help with that.”

Robinson said his experience as a community college teacher helped him understand the importance of connecting with students when he transitioned into an administrative role.

“One of my favorite things about being a college president is connecting directly with students; having conversations,” he said.

“What I would love students to know is that I’m anxious to talk to them. I want to hear about their experiences.”

Robinson submitted his resignation at Owens Community College May 19 and will leave Owens after 60 days. He will succeed current LCC president Dr. Brent Knight, who is set to retire June 30.