Maddy’s Message: Finding the positives

Maddy’s Message: Finding the positives
  • On April 30, 2020

By Maddy Warren

In a time where so much is unknown, and levels of fear are high, it is easy to focus on all the negatives happening.

The media bombards the public with terrifying reports and statistics almost every second of the day. At the start of the pandemic, Twitter created a “Global COVID-19 news” tab and placed it at the top of everyone’s feed to provide round-the-clock coverage.

Although I wholeheartedly believe it is crucial the public be informed on what’s happening, I think it is also important to reflect on all the good going on in the world.

Let’s face it, we could all use a pick-me-up. So here are just a few of the positives I have witnessed over the last month, since the “stay-at-home” orders began.

Support for small businesses has been incredible. Whether people are buying groceries or takeout for dinner, the community wants to help the restaurant and store owners stay afloat.

Painted rocks have sprung up around my neighborhood. My neighbors started painting rocks with fun designs and displayed them on mailboxes, fire hydrants, sidewalks and under trees, so people can enjoy them while they are out getting some fresh air. Others are encouraged to paint rocks themselves.

Offering to buy groceries for elderly friends and neighbors who might not be able to venture out to the store. A few weeks ago, my dad drove two hours to visit with and buy groceries for my 90-year-old grandparents. My former teacher posted a photo of a cake on Facebook, baked for her by another former teacher of mine. The other commented on her post, showing her appreciation for her friend and thanking her for buying her groceries during quarantine. I couldn’t help but smile at their exchange.

Professors are showing unmatched compassion for students. Whether it is no penalty for late assignments, an extension on an exam, or sympathy for a lack of internet connection, I have found all of my professors to be extremely understanding when it comes to online work.

Schools and churches providing meals to students and community members. There are a number of curbside pickup locations for food supplies in the area, to help those in need during this time.

Other countries are recovering. Some European and Asian countries are slowly starting to open businesses back up. Italy, which at one time had the highest number of cases in the world, is bouncing back. Its number of “daily new cases” is gradually decreasing.

Although the U.S. still has a long way to go, we can get there by working together, by listening to government officials and continuing to support our healthcare workers.

When all of this is said and done, and it is safe to resume normal life again, I hope we can start to better appreciate the little things in life that we took for granted before.