The Lookout | August 4, 2020

President search down to five finalists

President search down to five finalists
  • On April 21, 2020

By Robin Morales
Associate Editor

The LCC Presidential Search Committee met April 18 and selected five finalists for the LCC Board of Trustees to consider as the college’s next president.

“This screening committee, I say, did yeoman’s work over the course of a week to review more than a thousand pages of material,” said LCC Trustee Robert Proctor, who served as the committee chair.

“They had a robust discussion for over four hours on Saturday and concluded our report. I will send the report by Friday (April 24) … to the board.”

According to Board of Trustees Chair Lawrence Hidalgo Jr., the names of the final five candidates “should be” made public April 24, once the board has reviewed the search committee’s report.

Hidalgo said there will be publicly held interviews between the board and the candidates at a later date before the board makes a final vote at a future board meeting.

“I assume we would … use WebEx and have the board and the candidates, their videos up on screen and then everyone else joining in … to be able to watch,” Hidalgo said. “And they’ll be able to submit questions by the chat room if they wish.

“I suspect that’ll be (in) about two weeks or so.”

According to LCC Lead Faculty Adviser Eva Menefee, a search committee member, key issues that the next president will have to address include declining enrollment and increasing the visibility of LCC in the community.

“I always believe that the president that comes to a college comes to the college for a reason,” Menefee said. “Dr. Knight came to the college to really help us with our infrastructure, to help bring us from being a campus that looked like (the) 1970s to one that looked like it’s in the year 2020.

“When I think about the next president, I’m hoping that our next president will be someone who, coming in, can reunite the college with the community again.”