Stocken Speaks: a new perspective

Stocken Speaks: a new perspective
  • On April 16, 2020

By Shauna Stocken
Editor in Chief

When the stay-at-home order hit Michigan, all I could do was panic purchase supplies and mourn my losses.

I cried over all the events I’d miss, like my wedding, birthdays, trips, my graduation and the print edition of The Lookout.

It took me weeks in quarantine, stuck indoors with the people and pets who matter most to me, before I gained a new perspective.

My home has food and beverages stockpiled to the ceiling and a second freezer in the garage packed to the max. I understand this sounds like a first-world problem because I am very fortunate, but I find security in knowing we don’t have to leave our home now.

If you can’t pay your rent any longer and need to move back with your parents or relocate for cheaper rent, at least you’re not homeless. That should be your perspective.

Some of us may not be making the same amount of money, but we have to look on the bright side.

For those struggling with a decrease in pay or who have lost their job, now is not the time to panic and derail your life.

Sign up with GrubHub and deliver takeout, or with DoorDash and deliver groceries. Apply for unemployment insurance or take out a small personal loan.

In Michigan, even with no credit or bad credit, many banks will loan customers credit typically ranging from $1,000 to $20,000. This service can be applied for online.

For individuals with credit issues, a co-signer can also help increase the loan amount and decrease APR rates.

I might lose my mind during quarantine, but you still won’t find me dancing on TikTok, attempting to make bank from becoming YouTube-famous, or selling nude photos on the internet.

Even during social distancing and among the changes to our normal routines, money can still be made and our goals are still attainable.  

Now is the time for new beginnings. Now is the time to keep a positive outlook and perspective in this uncertain time.

As The Lookout went online, our staff page designer, Bayelee Hodge, quickly redesigned and created social media presence for our newspaper.

Our positive attitude has helped our staff reach readers spanning outside our normal Lansing and LCC bubble.

I continue to take deep breaths and remind myself I don’t have all the answers, but I do have the right mindset to find them.