The Lookout | July 3, 2020

Professor, student talk online classes

Professor, student talk online classes
  • On April 10, 2020

By Shauna Stocken
Editor in Chief

As LCC began to move to fully online learning March 18, many students struggled with the transition as professors quickly reworked lesson plans for the semester.

LCC Writing Professor Mary Murphy has taught at LCC since 1990. She said she believes her course, English 118 (Personal Writing), has been a good online class since its start at the college in 1995.

“Sally Pierce (former LCC writing professor) designed it as a summer project, but handed it off in the fall,” Murphy said.

“Dale Herder taught it from about then (1996) to about 2015 or 2016. As a retired vice president of LCC, he knew many people, and many took his course just to be in his world.”

In the fall of 2005, Murphy began teaching Personal Writing. That is the only course she is teaching this semester.

“Since Personal Writing has been online all semester, the transition was not very hard,” Murphy said. “I did try to ease up on some deadlines to allow students to spend extra time on other classes that were switched from face-to-face to online.”

LCC student and University Center employee Abigail Warren is currently enrolled in English 118. She said she is thankful for Murphy’s extensions, since she has had to adapt to two in-person courses moving online.

“It has been tricky,” Warren said. “I was already taking an online class, but for my other ones, like statistics, it will definitely be a lot harder online than in person. I like online, but I just have a hard time learning that way.”

The former ultrasound technician student said the coronavirus has had an impact not only on her style of learning, but her major as well.

“So, I actually just changed my major again,” Warren said. “It would be difficult to do it (ultrasound technician) online, so now I’m going for business.

“I think they (LCC officials) have done a great job. I mean, I know there’s not a lot they can do, but they made a great decision (going fully online).”

During this uncertain time, Murphy said her advice is to do the best one can to get through the semester with the courses they have started.

“Online isn’t the best for everybody, but it is what we have the rest of this semester … even summer term,” Murphy said.

“Take advantage of the help offered in the eLearning office, with the Help Desk, with the Learning Commons, success coaches and other offices and areas within the college,” Murphy said. “All over LCC, people want to help students get a good education this semester.”

Murphy said she believes online learning can be just as effective as in-person courses. She has already consented to teaching English 118 again in the fall.