The Lookout | March 9, 2021

2020 grad ceremony to be held online

2020 grad ceremony to be held online
  • On April 10, 2020

By Ali Williams
A&E Editor

With all LCC classes moved to online, officials have been figuring out what to do with the upcoming graduation ceremony. LCC has decided that graduation will be online this spring, due to COVID-19.

According to an official LCC statement: “In recognition that it will not be safe to gather in May, LCC will host its 2020 commencement ceremony online. All students eligible to graduate this spring have been notified of the change.”

Lori Myers, the academic records and degree specialist at LCC, said an announcement with more information about the online ceremony will be out soon, as officials are still discussing the commencement exercises.

Annescia Rollins, 18, is graduating from the welding program this May. Rollins said she is worried about those who may struggle to attend the online ceremony.

“I feel like it would be challenging for the people that have problems with the internet,” Rollins said. “I was so ready to walk across the stage, but now I just have to see if my Wi-Fi will work correctly.”

Morgan Dietzel, 19, graduates this May with an associate degree in science.

“It’s better that graduation is now online rather than in person,” Dietzel said. “I’d prefer not to risk mine and everybody else’s safety. I really don’t feel like it’s that big of a deal, so, no, I don’t think I’m missing out on (anything).”

However, LCC has plans for 2020 graduates to eventually walk across the stage if they choose to do so. All 2020 graduates have been invited to participate in the 2021 commencement ceremony,

“This is not a decision the college made lightly, and we know this is one more disappointment for students in what has already been a challenging month,” the official statement said. “We hope the virtual ceremony and 2021 in-person ceremony will honor the achievement and hard work of our proud graduates.”

To learn more about the online graduation ceremony, visit https://lcc.edu/graduation.