Review: ‘Harley Quinn’ impresses

Review: ‘Harley Quinn’ impresses

Five Stars out of Five

By Ali Williams
A&E Editor

Harley Quinn redeems herself in her movie, “Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.” The action movie originally came out Feb. 7. It is now able to be rented on Amazon Prime.

Due to coronavirus, Amazon Prime Video has a new section called “Prime Video Cinema,” on which movies that are in theaters are available for rent – or even purchase. “Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey” is one of these.

Quinn (played by Margot Robbie) was always a character I found to be annoying or useless. I never saw the allure people had in her, but the previews for Quinn’s movie changed my mind. The soundtrack is what initially caught me, and when I watched the trailers, I was interested in her character for once.

The movie follows Quinn, post-Joker breakup, as she saves a young girl with a target from one of Gotham’s most sinister villains, Roman Sionis (Ewan McGregor).

To save Cass (Ella Jay Basco), Quinn becomes allies with three deadly women: Huntress (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), Canary (Jurnee Smollett) and Renee Montoya (Rosie Perez).

Quinn desperately wants to save Cass, but also has her problems: the massive target on her back that she gained once she and the Joker broke up. And the pet hyena she must feed now. But the target on her back follows her everywhere, causing more chaos than Quinn wants.

“Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey” is worth watching on Amazon Prime. The characters are great, and the plot is enjoyable.

It is probably one of the only superhero movies – or villain movies, as Harley Quinn is in her own category – without a romantic interest. For once, a movie can be enjoyed for its fighting scenes, not its kissing scenes.