The Lookout | December 2, 2020

LCC radio host keeps plugging away

LCC radio host keeps plugging away
  • On March 27, 2020

By Chloe Gregg

Although the buildings may be closed and the classrooms are empty, LCC students are still working hard to get through this unusual semester.

One LCC student and employee in particular, Ted Schultz, has faced many obstacles during this pandemic to get used to learning and working from home.

Luckily for him, Schultz’s job as an LCC radio host at WLNZ, 89.7 FM, wasn’t completely shut down.

“With LCC closing for the virus,” Schultz explained, “my job has shut down for now, but my boss has me working from home trying to get a podcast working.”

The podcast is in its early stages and still has not been named or uploaded, but the radio staff is hopeful to get it running within a few weeks for students (and anyone) to enjoy.

Schultz began working for LCC radio in October, 2019.

“I do a bit of everything,” Schultz said, “from going live over the air, to show production for shows like ‘Sing Out Magazine’ and ‘Acoustic Cafe,’ two of many different shows we have on the station.”

Schultz said he isn’t only in it for the music and radio work.

“I love being able to say to my friends that you can hear me over the radio,” Schultz said. “The job is great for students trying to get a foot in the door early.”

For those students interested in pursuing a similar career field, Schultz offered some words of wisdom.

“My advice is to go to the radio station and say, ‘What do I have to do to start my career in radio?’ and start learning,” Schultz said. “Learning about something you love shouldn’t be boring, and should never feel like a chore. Other than that, just talk with people and make friends in the radio field of business.”