The Lookout | March 9, 2021

Opinion: Just stay home to save others

Opinion: Just stay home to save others
  • On March 17, 2020

By Chloe Gregg

I recently got into a fight with someone about a topic I didn’t even know existed.

A guy presented me with an article titled, “Coronavirus will bankrupt more people than it kills – and that’s the real global emergency.” He stated that this whole pandemic was a waste of time because of the amount of money that will be lost. He said the economic damage that will take place is “far worse” than the death toll that will come from the disease.

In what world is money equal to that of a human life? The answer is, it isn’t. So if you’re someone who thinks like this, and thinks all of these precautions to protect the people with weakened immune systems are just a waste of money, then I’m honestly concerned for your values and morals.

This is not the time to be complaining because you can’t go out drinking or to the movies or to the mall. This is not the time to be worrying about your $50 plane ticket to Florida. This is not the time to be making this about yourself.

This situation isn’t about you. It’s not about keeping the young and healthy from going out and doing fun things. It’s not even about keeping the young and healthy from contracting the coronavirus because we aren’t at risk to die from it.

It’s about protecting the people in our lives and in America with weak immune systems who won’t be able to fight it off. It’s about lowering the 10 to 20 percent of serious or critical coronavirus cases by secluding and quarantining the virus out.

Frankly, I don’t care that you’re upset you can’t go hang out with you friends, or that you won’t be able to do this or that. I don’t know about you, but I have important people in my life who might die if they catch this disease. I want to do everything in my power to keep that from happening.

Stop complaining and just be happy that you’re not at risk for dying.