The Lookout | February 24, 2020

‘LAND’ contest showcases LCC writers

‘LAND’ contest showcases LCC writers
  • On January 17, 2020

By Shauna Stocken
Editor in Chief

The Michigan Community College Association promoted partnership between 28 community colleges through the 35th annual Liberal Arts Network for Development (LAND) creative writing competition.

LCC English professor and coordinator for the creative writing program Rosalie Petrouske facilitated and ponsored this year’s competition.

“We’ve been doing this (at LCC) for a long time,” Petrouske said. “I don’t know how many years … I started coordinating last year and we are going to continue it every year.”

Registered LCC students were encouraged to submit an application and written entries before the deadline, Nov. 21, 2019.

First- through third-place winners in each category received a monetary prize ranging from $25 to $75. In addition, first- and second-place winners advance to the statewide competition.

“LCC instructors judge the entries in each category: fiction, poetry and essay, and then they pick the three local winners from here,” Petrouske said.

“It’s actually a statewide contest that we offer through LCC. It’s through the Liberal Arts Network for Development, which is a statewide organization for community colleges.”

Petrouske said she hopes LAND winners will be able to showcase their achievement on resumes and applications when transferring.

“I think that it is a great idea because it gives students the chance to compete and to be recognized for their work,” Petrouske said.

“It is also nice to send things out for publications, to learn how to do that and send out your essays, your poems, short fiction, and to be heard.”

LCC student Renee Sutter was among the nine LCC students who placed in the contest. She took second place at the local level for her creative non-fiction essay, titled, “Dear Pauline.”

“The piece I wrote is very near and dear to my heart,” the 36-year-old Sutter said. “Honestly, writing it was very cathartic for me and it took me through a journey of my family’s history … The piece is about my grandmother that my father never got to meet.”

“Dear Pauline” also received third place at the statewide competition. Sutter will be recognized for her achievement at the LAND Conference in Ann Arbor, Friday, Feb. 7.

“I always wanted to be a writer and honestly, when you get bitten by the writing bug, you’re a writer for life,” Sutter said. “Whether you sell millions of copies or never get published at all, writing is part of your identity.”
The following is a complete list of the 2019 LCC LAND Creative Writing Competition winners:

ESSAY — First Place: “Black Indians” by Jesse R. Moore; Second: “Dear Pauline” by Renee Sutter; Third: “Fear and Loathing in my Basement” by Ryan Donovan.

POETRY — First Place: “angry skipping fruit boy” by Quinn Sheppard; Second: “It’s Probably Going to Kill Me” by Audrey Spitzfaden; Third: “Our Ending” by Quinn Sheppard.

SHORT FICTION — First Place: “Cuban Sandwiches” by Robin Morales; Second Place: “Worry Dolls” by Shuyler Clark; Third Place: “Prize of the Hunt” by Makenna Griffith.