The Lookout | November 19, 2019

Kulseth trains at aviation center

Kulseth trains at aviation center
  • On August 30, 2019

By Shauna Stocken
Editor in Chief

Burrowed behind rows of cornfields and farmland is the LCC Maintenance Technology Center, located in the Jewett Airfield in Mason.

It is there that LCC second-year student Kyle Kulseth is among 28 morning aviation students and 24 evening students working toward certificates and/or associate degrees.

The off-campus facility offers students the opportunity to train and earn a certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

The certification is necessary to become an aircraft maintenance technician throughout the country.

“We are a two-year program, five days a week most semesters for six consecutive semesters,” said Mindy Ray, program coordinator at the Aviation Technology Center.

In addition to earning an FAA certification, students can also earn two associate degrees in Airframe Maintenance Technology and Power Plant Maintenance Technology from LCC by completing five required courses.
Kulseth said the program is sort of a unknown asset to LCC.

“A lot of people don’t know that the Mason campus exists,” Kulseth said. “Between the (LCC) west campus and the Mason campus, they (LCC) have a lot of cool tools and facilities. You just really get a wealth of knowledge here in airplanes and tools.”

After the passing of Kulseth’s father and business partner, Kulseth sold his insurance agency and decided to return to aviation last year.

“I started out restoring motorcycles, then cars,” Kulseth said. “I’ve always had a desire to become a pilot every since I was young; I had model airplanes in my childhood bedroom.”

Kulseth said he is on track to completing his goals; he earned his pilot’s license in August.

“Life happens, and you go off to college, and you do other things for a while and then obviously I got back here somehow,” he said.

“For me, getting my pilot’s license and being able to work on my own aircraft really just saves me money in the long run,” Kulseth said.

Kulseth said with the knowledge he acquired from LCC he hopes to go into General Aviation and work as a private pilot.

For degree and program information on aviation technology visit the LCC website.