The Lookout | September 17, 2019

Aaron Collard is new PTK president

Aaron Collard is new PTK president
  • On April 25, 2019

By Sarah Barney
Associate Editor

LCC’s Mu Tau chapter of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) inducted a new president, engineering physics major Aaron Collard, on Saturday, March 30.

PTK is an honor society for two-year college students with a required grade point average of 3.5 or higher.

Collard was asked to run by the previous president, Devin Stewart, and then elected by his peers.

“The personality and leadership of the president sets the tone for the current year and determines how many students are active,” Adviser Margo Whalen said.

The position will require Collard to preside over the meetings, work on projects, volunteer, do fundraising activities and, overall, represent Phi Theta Kappa.

“I had other qualifications, like I used to do project management stuff, so this is kind of a smooth transition for me,” Collard said. “I’ve served on a lot of committees through previous general education experiences and I’ve been president or lead roles in all of those.”

In addition, Collard is a council member for the Boys Scouts of America and an elder in his church.

“I like being active, and I liked being a part of decision making,” Collard said. “Although PTK isn’t the whole student body, it’s an organization within it, and I think we can make an impact on campus.”

One of the ways that PTK makes an impact is through the Honors in Action program. Members develop a project that benefits the community and report on it for a chance to win awards.

“I want to do a lot more volunteer work,” Collard said. “Quite a few of us volunteered for the (Martin Luther King Day of Service) which was so fun. It was amazing going out in the community and helping.”

Collard said that some of the challenges he foresees include organizing, figuring out which issues to tackle, and recruiting more active members. According to Whalen, about 25 members are currently active.

“I’m going to do fundraising activities so we can do extracurricular activities and have some fun,” Collard said. “I just look forward to … networking and meeting people and being a part of the community at LCC.”

For more information on the Mu Tau chapter or joining, contact Adviser Margo Whalen at (517) 483-9662.