The Lookout | September 17, 2019

‘Pageant Play’ has tiaras, invisible kids

‘Pageant Play’ has tiaras, invisible kids Pageant play

By Shauna Stocken
A&E Editor

“Pageant Play” debuted in the Gannon Building’s Black Box Theatre featuring LCC students, an alumni member and two invisible children represented by pageant gowns.

“Pageant Play” began March 29 and 30 with additional shows Friday and Saturday, April 5 and 6, and a matinee on Sunday, April 7.

“It was very clear that the dresses were the kids,” said audience member and LCC theater student Sommer Bouknight. “That form of acting can be very hard, but I enjoyed it. I know everybody in the cast. It was fun to watch the chase and I just really liked the show.”

By the end of the production, cast members were in brawls and chasing after one another on stage and near the audience.

Audience members not only enjoyed the chase, but cast member Bob, played by LCC alumni Ben Guenther, commented on how he too enjoyed his role.

“It’s crazy, but I definitely loved the chase scene; just getting to run around, getting a workout while the show is going and getting to interact differently in the space,” Guenther said.

Guenther’s character is an enthusiastic dancer, pageant guru and consultant. He unknowingly helps “mother” Marge (LCC student Bobbi Newman) to win pageant money from her kidnapped daughter, Puddle, to free her incarcerated boyfriend from jail.

“I’ve danced for like 14 years, but the pageantry part is way not me,” Guenther said. “This play was a lot different for me. Looking down at the ground and pretending that there is a 4-year-old girl standing there is very difficult, but very fun.”

As Guenther’s character aided Puddle and Marge to win the Miss Supreme Queen title, a rival consultant schemed alongside an enthused pageant mother, Pinky, to help her daughter win the crown.

“I based a lot of it off of my childhood,” said LCC student Nicole May, who played Pinky. “I grew up in Missouri, so there was always that more drawn-out southern women who (was) in it to win it.”

May’s pageant-obsessed character plays a villain who the audience begins to sympathize with. She flashes back to childhood memories and traumas reminiscent of her youthful pageant days with her eccentric pageant mother.

“With kids, we want so much for them that we project the things that we didn’t quite get ourselves,” May said.

The production cost $10 at the door for general admission and $5 for students. Donations were encouraged and support LCC theater student scholarships.