The Lookout | August 19, 2019

Students succeed in writing competition

Students succeed in writing competition
  • On March 21, 2019

By Ashlee Buhler
Editor in Chief

Every year during the fall semester, LCC students have the opportunity to submit their creative work to the annual Liberal Arts Network and Development (LAND) contest.
The contest, which is judged by LCC faculty, gives students an outlet to express their emotions in a creative way.
There are three categories in which students can submit their work: Short fiction, essay and poetry. Cash prizes are awarded to the top three finishers in each category.
Eight LCC students won awards during the 2018 contest. While none of them placed in the statewide portion of the contest, LCC competition coordinator Rosalie Petrouske said participating within the college is still a beneficial experience.
“I think it’s important because we’re teaching students how to write and how to express themselves,” Petrouske said. “There’s something about being creative that actually helps you with other opportunities in life.
“Self-expression helps most students to deal with challenges they face in their everyday life. It gives them that outlet.”
LCC student Robin Morales, 19, placed second in the essay category with a paper titled “Trips to and From Havana.” In addition, his poem titled “Cuba” won first place in the poetry category.
Morales said he wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to showcase his writing talents, but was also curious to know the opinions of the English professors who judged the contest.
“It was a surprising, indescribable feeling to receive the phone call telling me of my placings,” Morales said. “To create something and be told by professors that what I did was special, relative to thousands of others, was frankly a dream come true and a really great boost to my ambitions to pursue publication.
“I almost cried, honestly. It was my first major writing contest I entered, so it means a lot.”
Information for the 2019 LCC LAND contest will be announced at a later date. For more information on the statewide LAND contest, visit https://landconferencemi.com/creative-writing-competition.