The Lookout | December 10, 2018

Lifetime musician studies at LCC

Lifetime musician studies at LCC
  • On December 6, 2018

By Sarah Barney
Associate Editor

Not many LCC students can say they’re toured around the world or performed in front of 80,000 people, but music major Anthony “Tony” Thompson can.

Thompson has been performing since he was 9 years old, when he was gifted with a guitar by his father. After getting the guitar, he taught himself how to play.

He started getting more professional and playing at parties. Next, he started recording and writing music.

He started touring and doing major concerts out of high school with the band “Sun,” who was signed to Capitol Records. The band has accomplished many feats, including being featured in Billboard Magazine.

Eventually, the band broke up and the members went their separate ways.

“I was with them for about four years,” Thompson said. “Me, being the youngest member of that group, I decided to change my musical style and stay contemporary.”

After that, Thompson decided to come back to Lansing – where he started – to take care of his family.

Currently, Thompson is studying at LCC as a music major.

“There’s some things I want to brush up on,” Thompson said. “I used to go to LCC a long time ago.”

As a student when he first was at LCC, Thompson had his music played on LCC’s radio station frequently.

“They wanted me to do concerts at that time, but I wasn’t ready,” Thompson said. “They played (my music) on the radio and it did quite well. Then it moved to WXLA in Lansing and got a lot of attention.”

However, Thompson was about to start touring with another band, “Dawap.” With “Dawap,” Thompson went to Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan. The band toured for about 10 years.

Recently, Thompson was awarded $1,000 through the Allan Barnes Music Organization Grant. Thompson said he plans to use the money to invest in a recording mixer so he can start to make a new CD.

“For me, (performing in front of people) is natural; it’s what I do best,” Thompson said.