The Lookout | December 10, 2018

Marketing club hosts ‘Etiquette Dinner’

Marketing club hosts ‘Etiquette Dinner’
  • On November 20, 2018

By Maddie Toles
Sports Editor

LCC’s chapter of the American Marketing Association held its 12th annual Business Etiquette Dinner on Thursday, Nov. 15. The event, held on the first floor of the Gannon Building, ran from 4:30 to 8 p.m.

The event featured three speakers and a three course-meal, along with two hours of networking.

The first speaker was Shelley Davis Boyd, a Corporate Marketing Strategist for the LAFCU credit union. She spoke on proper meal etiquette, including appropriate conversation for dinner and the correct way to hold utensils.

“We do so much business over meals these days, and so it’s a really great way to make an impression,” Boyd said.

Boyd said there are two important things she wishes students could take away from the dinner.
“I hope that they took away that when we dine with other people the purpose of it is never about the food, it’s about the relationship,” Boyd said.

“The second thing is that I hope they really found a level of comfort, so that when they are going to dine with other people, they’re not concerned about doing the right thing, or am I using the right fork.”

The second speaker, Iovani Lopez, is a branch manager at Case Credit Union. Lopez talked about the importance of perseverance and hard work not only in business, but in life altogether.

The final speaker, Kylie Rogers-Strahan, is an account executive and digital marketing director at Blohm Creative Partners, a Lansing advertising agency. Her presentation featured tips and tricks to enhance social media profiles, specifically LinkedIn.

LCC student Tenaya Henderson, a business administration major, said she believes the etiquette dinner is a great opportunity.

“I really like the idea of getting more experience in business and the networking.” Henderson said.

Dental hygienist student Linda Yang had a similar conclusion.

“The etiquette is a whole new thing for me. I grew up in this really Asian culture, so all I use is chopsticks,” Yang said with a laugh. “It’s a whole new experience for me.”