The Lookout | November 15, 2018

Hidalgo, Wilbur win seats on LCC board

Hidalgo, Wilbur win seats on LCC board
  • On November 8, 2018

By Ashlee Buhler
Editor in Chief

The people have voted, the polls are closed, and the results are in.

Pending the official certification from the Ingham County Board of Canvassers, Lawrence Hidalgo Jr. and Samantha Wilbur will secure the two available seats on the LCC Board of Trustees.

Wilbur, who is new to the board, came out significantly ahead in a three-person race with 57,722 votes.

It was a closely contested race for the second seat, with incumbent Hidalgo receiving 46,494 votes. This was ultimately enough to edge out Shaquila Myers, who gained 46,181 votes.

Wilbur and Hidalgo are expected to begin their six-year term on the board at the start of the New Year.

Hidalgo has been on the board since 2012 and currently serves as the vice chair. Hidalgo said he is committed to student success and looks forward to his next term as a trustee.

“If the results hold up I am humbled,” Hidalgo said. “I want to continue moving forward with the progress we’ve made on student success and keep that focused; making sure that our students get a good quality education at a reasonable rate.”

Wilbur joins the board as a fresh new face who hopes to bring some big changes to the college.
Prior to the election, Wilbur shared some of her ideas with The Lookout, such as having a health care facility on campus for students, staff and faculty to receive quality and affordable healthcare.

After the election, Wilbur said she was amazed with the record number of voters in Michigan. She said she is proud to be one of the female officials elected alongside the state’s first-ever lesbian attorney general, Dana Nessel.

“I’m actually very flattered,” Wilbur said. “It was nice to see so many people turn out and vote for me. I’m excited to get to work and start implementing some of the ideas that I have. I look forward to working with the board.”