The Lookout | November 18, 2018

New dean eager to support students

New dean eager to support students
  • On August 30, 2018

By Ashlee Buhler
Editor in Chief

The Arts & Sciences Division at LCC welcomed a new dean at the start of the fall semester.
Andrea Hoagland, who served as interim dean since September of 2017, accepted the positon of dean of Arts & Sciences in August.

Hoagland is no stranger to LCC. Over the course of 14 years she has held many positions with the college.

She began working as an adjunct faculty member in the Math Skills Department in 2004. In 2010 she began teaching full time in the Math and Computer Science Department. She also served as the associate dean of Science and Mathematics before accepting the interim dean of Arts & Sciences position last fall.

Despite serving as the interim dean, accepting the permanent position was not necessarily a given. Hoagland went through the same interview process as the rest of the candidates, and was selected based on her skill level and desire to help students.

“Andrea is uniquely qualified to be dean of Arts & Sciences,” said Elaine Pogoncheff, provost and senior vice president of academic affairs. “Her dedication to serve our students is her primary motivation in her job.

“When it comes to her skills, she has the logic background of her mathematics discipline, and she also has the heart required to work with people. These qualities make her a great peacemaker and problem solver.”

As dean of Arts & Sciences, Hoagland is responsible for supervising the associate deans in the Arts & Sciences Division, as well as working with them to find ways to improve the quality of instruction for students.

“I would like for students to know that we’re always working hard to make things better for what we do in serving them with instruction and support,” Hoagland said.

Prior to coming to LCC, Hoagland worked as a computer programmer. However, she said working in a school setting is more her style.

“I just like working with people,” she said. “I’m not a solitary kind of worker. That’s why I didn’t stay a computer programmer — I didn’t want it to be just me and a computer. Anytime I’m problem solving with other people, that’s when I’m at my best.”

When she is not working at LCC, Hoagland is a student at the University of Michigan-Flint. With a bachelor’s degree in mathematics (from Michigan State University) and a master’s degree in Math Education (from New York University) already in her back pocket, Hoagland hopes to graduate in May with a master’s in mathematics.

“I decided to pursue (a master’s) in math because I would like to teach again someday,” she said. “I like to make sure I always have something challenging that I’m working on.”