Stocken Speaks: Beach Boys concert fulfills a lifelong dream for reporter

By Shauna Stocken
A&E Editor

In the introduction chapter of my memoir, I reminisce memories from my youth surrounding my mom and my younger sister.

This included memories of cruising in my mom’s GEO Metro and dancing throughout the house listening to The Beach Boys while in grade school.

My childhood passion became a reality with The Beach Boys’ outdoor performance on Thursday, July 19 at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre in Sterling Heights. The show was part of the Beach Boys’ “Now and Then” tour.

After an hour and a half in the car, my mom and I arrived at the venue; a long-awaited Mother’s Day gift from me to her.

We dressed like “California Girl’s” in floral prints, glitter and flip-flops, and sat atop a hill to view the show.

Nine band members joined together on stage to accompany Mike Love, the only original member of the 1961 all-American surfer band.

The concert was my first time hearing new and old songs live. I compared the evening’s performance to tracks I had listened to on cassette tape and my modest vinyl collection.

Classic and newer songs were sung while picture installations accompanied every song on a large screen. There were images of California beaches, beach babes and the band in its younger years.

For a band that heavily dominated the 1960s, fans of all ages were seen on their feet singing along and dancing.

Seeing hundreds of fans in Hawaiian T-shirts, singing along to the classics was an incomparable musical experience for fans like my mom and me.

The song, “Be True To Your School” was performed with a twist – altering the speed of the original lyrics – giving fans a new taste of a favorite high school lovebird tune.

As an artist, I find great value in experiencing live music from a band that has brought my life and family such joy.

All founding members aside, I am fully satisfied with the performance and sound of The Beach Boys, both now and then.