The Lookout | September 22, 2018

Student shows creativity with welding

Student shows creativity with welding

By Ashlee Buhler
Associate Editor

Flowers, butterflies, bees and trees – those are just a few of the things that LCC student Lucas Rakieten can create if you give him some metal.

Welding first peaked Rakieten’s interest during his junior year at Leslie High School. It eventually led him to the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology in Toledo, Ohio. He then returned to Michigan, where he worked for the Local 333 Plumbers and Pipefitters Union to help build the Facility for Rare Isotype Beams (FRIB) on the campus of Michigan State University.

In addition to being a full-time student, Rakieten, 21, runs a welding business out of his home in Leslie, where he does custom fabrication, repair and creative art design.  In the summertime he goes to art shows such as Scrapfest in Old Town, where he sells his work.

“I pretty much make anything that I want to make or whatever somebody asks me to make,” Rakieten said. “I have made flowers out of metal, hands out of nuts and bolts, and dragonflies out of spark plugs. I have made trees out of old chainsaw blades that I weld together.

“One of my favorites would be the tables that I make out of reclaimed barn wood.”

Rakieten said welding serves as a great opportunity for self-expression.

“It’s a way to show creative expression,” he said. “Drawing isn’t my thing and neither is painting, but I can mentally visualize stuff and make it.”

Upon graduating from LCC next year, Rakieten plans to transfer to Ferris State, where he will major in welding engineering.

“One day I want to work for an aerospace company building rockets or planes,” he said. “I want to do something cool. It all just depends on where the jobs are when I graduate.”

For more information, or to view some of Rakieten’s work, check out his Facebook page (Precision Art and Fabrication) or send him an email at rakieten1@gmail.com.