The Lookout | November 15, 2018

‘Money Smart Week’ prepares students

‘Money Smart Week’ prepares students

By Sarah Barney
A&E Editor

For many, college is the first large financial investment that young adults make.

During LCC’s “Money Smart Week,” which took place the week of April 23, the LCC Financial Aid team sought to increase financial education and literacy.

Over the course of the week, booths were available in the Gannon Commons with information, and presentations were held on various topics.

Some of the topics covered included identity-theft protection, personal and auto loans, debit vs. credit and student employment.

Participating students were also put into a drawing for scholarships of $1,000 each. A total of eight winners were awarded at the conclusion of the week.

Three different events took place at the Cesar Chavez Learning Center in room 3217 of the Gannon Building.

The first event, “Financial Aid Literacy Overview,” was presented by Jake Rodriguez of LCC’s Financial Aid Department.

Dalton Davis, a freshman majoring in business, attended the Wednesday, April 25 event, which included free pizza for the attendees.

“This is the first I’ve seen of the ‘Money Smart Week’ events,” Davis said. “I’m concerned about how much debt I’ll have in the future and how to actually plan for retirement.”

After the event, Davis had some ideas on how to better handle his finances.

“(I’m) definitely not spending as much as I do on just … going out,” Davis said. “I don’t want to wait on each paycheck. I want to put more in my savings account.”

The next day, Thursday, April 26, featured two more events in the Cesar Chavez Center: “Debit vs. Credit” at 1 p.m. and “Budgeting & Understanding Credit Scores” at 1:30 p.m.

Jonathan Rosewood, LCC’s diversity project coordinator, talked about the importance of events such as these.

“As a first-generation college student, I had no idea how to maneuver through the financial aid process,” Rosewood explained. “I took out a lot of money just to have. Learning about financial aid … that’s important.

“If we start helping people at 18 or 19 years old figure (finances) out, by the time they get to my age, 30, they’ll be ready to go and know how to spend money wisely.”