The Lookout | July 20, 2018

StarScapes an opportunity to share

StarScapes an opportunity to share
  • On April 27, 2018

By Sarah Barney
A&E Editor

As the end of the 2018 spring semester draws near, students got another chance to display and present their work in the form of the Spring StarScapes, which took place Wednesday and Thursday, April 18 and 19.

Students were given the opportunity to share research, capstone presentations, honors option projects or other work with the LCC community.

Students in classes such as Food and Sustainability, taught by Aliza Robison, presented projects. For the class, students had to explore the background and history of a dish and its impact on the culture that it is from.

One of the students taking the class was sophomore Alex Doyle, who did a project on gumbo.

“I’d say the most interesting thing was probably the amount of different influences that that dish has had over its development, and how that dish is also an embodiment of the entire (culture),” Doyle said.

Doyle spoke about seeing his work at StarScapes.

“It feels really good,” Doyle said. “I did something … it may not be my best work ever, but at least I get people to see what I did.”

Another group present was Krishnakali Majumdar’s Cultural Anthropology class members, who did a project called “I am LCC.”

“They interviewed each other; that was a part, to learn how to conduct interviews,” Majumdar said. “They did a number of interviews, and then from that they created a little snippet of what they felt (described the person).”

Majumdar spoke about the benefits of students presenting their work.

“They get to see their final product and it’s a little more polished than something that’s not published, so when they see it out front they feel good about it,” Majumdar said.