The Lookout | December 10, 2018

‘Painted Ladies’ takes place in history

‘Painted Ladies’ takes place in history
  • On April 12, 2018

The spring dance concert “Painted Ladies” was staged at Dart Auditorium for the last time on Sunday, March 8, to a crowd of around 100 people.

The dances were themed around paintings of women throughout history. The paintings ranged in renown and age, with some paintings created in 1665 and others in 2016.

Brad Knaebel was present at the final show and offered his insights.

“The theme was interesting,” Knaebel said. “Art being so subjective, I felt some of the dances didn’t match what I felt the paintings to mean.

“However, like I said, art is subjective and everyone feels different ways about meanings of art. I enjoyed seeing how others interpret the paintings.”

The show opened with an energetic dance set to “Fell in Love With a Girl” by The White Stripes, but carried on to pieces of varying emotions. The show also included music-less improv portions.

“The dances without music was a first for me,” Knaebel said. “It felt strange and I thought it to be a mishap at first; the amount of skill it must take to keep time without music.”

One of the last dances in the program was “Cry,” which was inspired by “The Weeping Woman” by Pablo Picasso.

Karen Knaebel, a Wayne State graduate, choreographed the piece.

“I brought the painting into rehearsals and I first had the dancers give me their interpretation of it, and then I had them start moving with it,” she said.

Karen Knaebel said she also saw the dance performed on the opening night.

“The first night it was amazing, I could feel the adrenaline and then I was really proud of them,” she said. “It was great to see the vision in your head actually on stage and know that everybody else is seeing it too.”

Enrollment is now open for summer semester dance classes, “Beginning Jazz” and “Intermediate Dance.” To enroll, or for more information, go to LCC Banner Self-Service.