The Lookout | June 22, 2018

Volunteers make Valentines for seniors

Volunteers make Valentines for seniors
  • On February 15, 2018

By Sarah Barney
A&E Editor

Volunteers of all ages came out to create cards for senior citizens during the “Valentine’s Card Making Soiree” event at REO Town Marketplace.

The event, which took place Tuesday, Feb. 13, was put together by Rachael Loucks Nicol of Daring Enterprises LC3.

Volunteers came in between 5 and 9 p.m. to create Valentine’s Day cards that were later delivered to local senior citizens.

While supplies were provided, volunteers were encouraged to bring supplies of their own as well.

“My hope is to have approximately 10 to 20 people participate in card making throughout the night,” Nicol said.

Joy Baldwin attended the event as part of a “Galentine’s Day” celebration her friend planned.
“(Seniors) need as much attention as (they) can get,” Baldwin said. “I’m more than happy to spend a little time making their day special.”

Baldwin spoke about seniors being distanced from loved ones.

“I think a lot of seniors lose touch, and maybe their families are far away from them and they’re a little more isolated,” Baldwin said. “I think it’s a beautiful thing to do what we can to make them feel less isolated.”

The cards were delivered to The Willows at East Lansing Assisted Living Center.

“It’s amazing what an impact simple gestures of kindness can make for people that feel alone or isolated,” Nicol said.

Nicol talked about her goals for the night.

“(I want) to provide a safe, creative space for people to gather and support their community by sharing love with personalized cards,” Nicol said.

Nicol lives with a brain injury and said she has been stuck at home in the past as a result.

“I know there are others in a similar position,” Nicol explained. “I put together this event to try to help others feel less alone on a day that can feel especially lonely for those without a significant other or family nearby.”

For more information on Daring Enterprises LC3 and REO Town Marketplace, go to https://www.facebook.com/daring2pursue/ or https://www.reotownmarketplace.com/