The Lookout | March 18, 2018

Courtside Pride on display at LCC

Courtside Pride on display at LCC LCC cheerleaders
  • On February 15, 2018

By Danielle Hook
Freelance Writer

The Gannon Gym was full of spirit as fans watched the LCC women’s basketball team play against the Grand Rapids Raiders at the first-ever Full Court Pride event on Saturday, Feb. 10.

Layne Ingram, the organizer of the event, as well as the coach of the LCC women’s basketball team, said he thought the event went well despite the harsh weather.

“Full Court Pride was a way for us to show that the college is extremely inclusive (and) open to diversity.” Ingram explained.

Despite an 81-71 loss, the Stars fought hard and entertained the crowd of about 100 people.

Some of the features included free T-shirts, raffles, prizes for halftime contests and free food after the game.

Juliana Lewis, 13, the daughter of Dean of Student Affairs Chris Lewis, won a game of layup musical chairs against six other competitors.

“Everyone is coming together and it’s great that I can be together with everyone and play games and win prizes,” Lewis said. “It’s super fun.”

There was also a half-court shot contest. The first one to shoot, L.J. Holmes, made his shot and received a CASE Credit Union duffle bag.

“I think I missed my calling with basketball,” said the 19-year-old Holmes. “I should be a basketball player.”

Holmes also said he enjoyed Full Court Pride.

“It’s just cool to have events like this, especially when we have this platform to reach people; might as well use it for good,” Holmes said.

The LCC women played well and fought hard despite missing three starting players.

“I like how we played as a team today,” sophomore guard Destiny Bonds said while signing post-game autographs. “Chemistry was good. We trusted each other.”

Coach Ingram agreed, and said he appreciated the crowd support.

“I think the engagement during the game was great… and obviously I’m happy with the way that the kids played.”

Ingram also thanked CASE Credit Union and the Salus Center of Lansing for sponsoring the event.