The Lookout | June 22, 2018

Cadet Jimenez stands for the people

Cadet Jimenez stands for the people
  • On February 15, 2018

By Shauna Stocken

From childhood, LCC student Anthony Jimenez has been fascinated with fire trucks and policemen. His childhood interest motivated his current career goals toward a field in criminal justice.

“At the moment I am taking what is called an Explorers Program outside of my classes as well,” the 18-year-old Jimenez said. “So it’s kind of an introduction to see if I possibly want to do this as a career in the future.”

Jimenez has been enrolled in the Lansing Police Explorers program since he was 16. In the program, interested participants are given the opportunity to attend a police ride-along, train in different fields of the police department, and join a summer academy program.

When Jimenez is not training with the police department or attending his general education courses, he is working as an LCC Police Cadet.

“I like the small little community and the people I work with are a lot of fun,” Jimenez said. “I like the job because there’s a lot of people you can talk to and there are a lot of people you can meet … It’s all about the people for me.”

Jimenez said he wanted to stay local with his family and save money by attending LCC.

During Jimenez’s shifts, he frequently works with fellow police cadet Phillip Nguyen on LCC’s main campus.

“We usually walk around, making sure the campus is safe,” Nguyen said. “Looking for leaks, battery jumping cars and helping people get their keys when they lock themselves out of their cars.”

While many employees working as LCC police cadets are interested in law enforcement, Nguyen said he chose the job unrelated to his field of study, photography.

According to Nguyen, Jimenez’s interest in the field and eagerness to learn sets him apart from many co-workers.

“I think it’s about where his morals are and I think that his morals are in the right place,” Nguyen said. “Definitely, having good morals and good ethics is the key.

“Certain people want to become cops, but they don’t have their morals straight, or they’re too into a certain political party and that kind of skews their judgment.”

Among co-workers who view Jimenez in high regard is LCC Dispatch Operations Coordinator Kristy DeRosia.

“He is a hard worker and he is dedicated,” DeRosia said.

Jimenez said he will continue to work as a police cadet until transferring to Ferris State University in the fall of 2019.