The Lookout | May 21, 2018

Former LCC student interns for ‘Conan’

Former LCC student interns for ‘Conan’
  • On January 19, 2018

By Ashlee Buhler
Associate Editor

Dedication. That was all it took for Jaimie Bozack to land the internship of her dreams with her longtime idol, Conan O’Brien.

Bozack’s journey started at LCC as a writer for The Lookout. Although she lacked writing experience as a freshman, hard work eventually led her to various editor positions on the staff, including Arts & Entertainment Editor. She was also a co-recipient of the Employee of the Year Award in her final year at LCC, in 2016.

“When she started here she was very raw and needed a lot of work,” said The Lookout Adviser Larry Hook. “But she worked hard and became one of my most improved writers ever.”

Bozack, who is majoring in journalism with a minor in film, transferred to Michigan State in the fall of 2016. After garnering experience working at The State News and Media Sandbox on MSU’s campus, Bozack knew it was time to make the move she had been thinking about since high school.

“I wanted to do an internship at Conan since I was in high school,” she said. “I use to watch him and my mom would have to tell me to shut off the TV because it was so late … I had to sneak in ways to watch him.”

It wouldn’t be long until her dream would come full circle. After submitting an application online, Bozack got the call to be a production intern for “Conan,” starting last fall.

“’Conan’ was the only internship I ever wanted, so it was crazy when I got it,” Bozack said. “I got on the plane with two suitcases and went out there not knowing anyone, which was really intimidating.”

Having lived in Lansing her whole life, moving to California alone was certainly a change of pace. Since the internship was unpaid, Bozack had to use most of her life savings to live as she worked five days a week, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The job of a production intern is to handle all the aspects that go into running a show. A typical day would start with getting the office ready; then waiting for a call to go on a run.

“A run could be getting wardrobe for the wardrobe people or getting coffee,” Bozack explained. “Or it could be bigger things like sometimes they need people to sit in on the show or be a part of a sketch.”

It didn’t take long for Bozack to feel right at home. She started doing standup comedy and going to shows every night. While doing her internship, she also managed to help produce a stand-up show called “Golden Hour.”

More importantly, she began to make connections with all the right people.

“I started talking to the writers and said, ‘Hey, I want to write … my dream is to write for late night (TV) and write jokes or monologues,’” she said. “A writer at Conan named Jose Arroyo asked to see my work … He was the first one that really talked to me and believed in me.”

However, one moment Bozack said she will never forget came on the final day of her internship — at O’Brien’s holiday party this past December. Her roommate, who was also an intern, didn’t believe she had the guts to say goodbye to O’Brien.

Bozack accepted the challenge.

“I walked up and put my hand on his shoulder and said, ‘Hey Conan, I’m about to take off … I just want to say that it’s been a dream to be here.”

Through a quick exchange, O’Brien was quick to catch onto Bozack’s natural sense of humor, she recalled.

“He said, ‘You’re very funny and have a natural wit about you … I have a feeling this won’t be the last time we work together. Someday I’ll be working with you on your Netflix special.’”